Neurology Services at SSSIHMS
Neurological conditions evaluated and treated routinely at SSSIHMS include the following:
- Face head and neck pain
- Epilepsy and related conditions
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Infections of the CNS
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating disorders
- Parkinson’s Disease and movement and ataxic disorders
- ALS and Other Motor Neuron Diseases
- Trigeminal Neuralgia, Bell’s Palsy, and Other Cranial Nerve Disorders
- Spinal Cord Diseases
- Peripheral Neuropathies including Guillain-Barre´ Syndrome
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Tumors of the Nervous System
- Psychiatric disorders and Mental health problems
Face, Head and Neck pain: These patients are generally managed on OPD basis.
- Atypical Facial Pain
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Migraine, other headaches and variants
- Muscle Contraction Tension Headache
- Chronic Back Pain
- Post-herpetic Neuralgia
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
Epilepsy and related conditions: These patients are investigated as required and treatment instituted. Some patients depending upon their condition are admitted as part of their management.
- 1. Fits, black outs, jerks and faints
- 2. non – epileptic attacks
- 3. Sleep disorders
Cerebrovascular diseases : Acute cases are admitted and managed with anti-coagulants and physiotherapy. Chronic cases are evaluated as required.
- Acute Stroke Management
- Cerebral Venous Thrombosis
- TIA Transient Ischemic Attack
Infections of the CNS.: These patients are managed following diagnosis of the infections based on Lumbar puncture and other investigations with admission and institution of appropriate anti-microbial therapy.
- Meningitis-acute and chronic-bacterial/viral/protozoal/fungal
- Brain abscess
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating disorders:
- Optic Neuritis
- Transverse Myelitis
- Other demyelinating disorders
Dementia: These patients are investigated.
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Vascular dementia / Multi-infarct dementia
- Reversible dementias
- Prion (Creutzfeldt-Jakoband Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker disease)
Parkinson’s Disease and movement and ataxic disorders : These patients are seen on an OPD basis and treatment is instituted and optimized as required.
- Parkinson Disease and related disorders
- Spinocerebellar ataxias
ALS and Other Motor Neuron Diseases : ENMG and conduction studies are used to reach a definitive diagnosis in these patients.
- Amyotropic lateral sclerosis / MND
- Spinal muscular atrophy
Trigeminal Neuralgia, Bell’s Palsy, and Other Cranial Nerve Disorders: Are investigated and treated appropriately.
Spinal Cord Diseases: When surgical intervention is required then the patients are reffered to the sister dept of neurosurgery.
- Spinal cord tumors
- Cervical spondylosis
- Prolapsed disc
- Transverse myelitis
Peripheral Neuropathies including Guillain-Barre´ Syndrome: ENMG, NCV and Nerve biopsies are conducted for diagnosis.
- Polyneuropathies eg.diasetic
- Acuteneuropathies eg GB Syndrome
Neuromuscular diseases: These are investigated by ENMG and Muscle biopsy.
- Inclusion Body Myositis
- Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy
- Metabolic Myopathies
- Periodic Paralyses
Tumors of the Nervous System: These once diagnosed are dealt by the Neurosurgery department. Psychiatric disorders and Mental health problems: Psychiatric problems when secondary to neurological disorders if diagnosed are treated in-house by a Consultant Psychiatrist.